Tuesday, June 7, 2011

You Guys...These Kids...



WEHA, Old Saybrook, Jersey, New York, Philly, and everyone else...

Today was day 2 with the kids at the center and I have absolutely fallen head over heels in love with them. I have a sixth grade classroom with Mike and I couldn't have asked for a better partner. I've been able to take on the English portion of the day while Mike is teaching math (trust me, it's for the best I stay away from the math...right Dad?).

My main goal in working with my 20 kids (depending on the day and who decides to show up or not) is getting them to creatively think and use that thought in their writing. The Namibian style of education is for the students to memorize, so they have a difficult time thinking on their own and forming original thoughts. Specifically, we've been working on sentences and having the kids expand their sentences beyond just "she kicked the ball" (mind you...my kids are in SIXTH grade). So yesterday we used our spelling words of the week to write sentences and focused on adding more detail to our sentences.

Today was one of the greatest days I have ever had in a classroom. My plan was to bring my kids outside and dribble a soccer ball in front of them (soccer is huge here...and yes, Dad, Jack, and Thomas...me...dribbling a soccer ball...I know...), have them tell me what I was doing, "Kate is kicking the ball", and then have them look around and describe where I was, what the weather was like, who else was around, and to use all their senses to explain what was going on. Unfortunately, since it is winter here and the kids don't have appropriate clothing for the weather (some even don't have shoes) I had to be an ADAPTIVE EXPERT (there's your shout-out Brother Ray) and create a new plan once the kids got into the classroom. We talked about the sentences again and how to add to them and then the kids gave examples of descriptive words they already knew. Then we read a book and every time the kids heard a descriptive word they had to raise their hands. They did such an amazing job and then when I gave them a prompt to write about the best days of their lives they were able to use such excellent language that I knew exactly what they were talking about. They all wanted to share and I cannot even tell you how proud I was of every single one of them. I promise I waited to cry until class was over though...

The difference between kids in America and the kids here is that these kids want to learn so so badly. When break time came and the kids were free to go outside, they BEGGED me to finish the lesson before they went outside for break. I couldn't believe it. I love it here more than I even thought was possible and I love how I can feel what a difference I'm making. It's like nothing I've ever experienced.

I'm so proud of myself and I'm so proud of the 7 people I am on this trip with. They are incredible teachers and they are willing to do more than just anyone ever would for these kids. The resources and location we have to work with are difficult to put into words and today I saw Mike make an INCREDIBLY effective mixed number lesson using egg crates and beer bottle caps. This experience is the best one of my life and I hate to say it (Mom and Dad) but I'm not sure America is where I'm supposed to teach anymore...

;)

I love you all so much and I miss you.
xoxo
Kate

3 comments:

  1. Kate your post was amazing and that sounds like a really engaging lesson! Miss you and I am soo proud of you and yes move to Africa and teach there so when I have money I can visit you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Kate,I'm so happy for you. These experiences will guide you to be the best teacher you can be. Here or in Africa your students will be blessed to have you.

    w/love mr d

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog post, how great to witness their love of learning . Enjoy all your experiences. Love to you and all your students. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete