Thursday, June 9, 2011

Three days later...

I can't believe how fast this week has flown by. Mary's title of her last post "speechless" could not describe it any more perfectly. This week has been amazing and I wish it never had to end. We visited two local schools in Namibia to see what they were like. One was Community Hope School, with many volunteers and another Steenkapm Primary School, with Namibian teachers. Many of us were surprised, to say the least. We really take the school system we have in the US for granted. These visits only made me want to come back to teach here for a year even more.

Laura and I have been doing whatever we can to enhance the first graders learning at the BNC. We've added a lot to the classroom to make it a much more age appropriate print-rich environment for them. We've added pictures to the alphabet, a word wall and labels. We've even added in a behavior management system that the students could clearly comprehend. I couldn't have been any happier with the results of everything we have done. We've really come together with our thoughts and ideas to make this experience worthwhile for both ourselves, and most importantly, the students.

I'm excited for this weekend away and to experience more parts of Africa. However, it makes me sad thinking about coming back and only having two days left at the BNC. We watched Liz say goodbye to the students today and it was heartbreaking. The students were singing an African song and some of the lyrics included "we will never forget you." We also had the students write her goodbye letters. This alone made Laura and I tear up so I can only imagine what Tuesday is going to be like. But after last night with everyone, I know this weekend should be interesting and so much fun. I love this group and can't wait for another bonding experience.

Here are some pictures of this past week! Hope you love them alll.

To all my family and friends taking the time to read our blog, LOVE YOU ALL and see you in less than a week!







































































3 comments:

  1. Sinead I'm very proud of you and I can see the love you have for the students will mold you into a great teacher.One of our best teachers in Cairo-Durham is retiring after 38 years she will be greatly missed. Lots of love to you, Aunt Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas wants to know if you rode any elephants?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear that you are having such a great experience. It will be hard to say goodbye to those gorgeous children. Enjoy the rest of your time there.

    Thinking of you looking cool there as we melt away here (major heat wave) Love, Aunt KathyO

    ReplyDelete