Sunday, June 5, 2011

Back from Safari!

We just got back from an amazing weekend at Etosha National Park in northern Namibia. It was a long bus ride from Windhoek to the park, but the journey was absolutely worth it. Our amazing tour guide, George, was one of the wisest and most knowledgable men I have ever met! He knew everything about everything from the history of Namibia to detailed information about each animal to easily locating constellations (and OH MY GOD were the stars amazing out there-- no city lights or pollution to block our view... we could easily see the entire Milky Way).
Mom and Dad, you'll be proud... we slept out in tents every night and our food was cooked over a fire. It was a true adventure... I tapped into my wilderness side :) We saw giraffes, elephants, zebras, wildebeests, impalas, dik-diks, springboks, and rhinos. We kept our eyes peeled for lions the whole time but didn't have any luck. It was an amazing bonding experience for all of us to be out there together. I really feel so fortunate to be out here with such a great group of peers and faculty members... everyone gets along so well and we really mesh.
Sooooo after our amazing weekend we are back at the Wadadee House and prepping for our first full day at the centre tomorrow. I am incredibly excited to start working with the kids. We were only there for an hour last Thursday, but I already fell in love (sorry Mom, I know I promised you I wouldn't but I did. Don't worry... I'll still come home!) This is going to be such an amazing and rewarding experience. We have an orientation in the morning and the kids start arriving at about 1:30. We'll be in the classrooms for most of the afternoon, and will have some time outside too (soccer will be interesting... the kids are pros and I have two left feet...) Anyway, time to get some rest for our big day tomorrow. Here we go!!!

1 comment:

  1. Bex:

    Sounds soooo awesome so far! Im reading daily ..all posts by everyone. Miss you and love you...my best to your wonderful hosts.

    tk

    ReplyDelete