Tuesday, June 7, 2011

It's Christina!

Greetings everyone! It's Christina from Laura's account. I can't remember my account information so Laura was nice enough to let me use hers. The past week has been crazy, but amazing. I feel like I haven't had a chance to breathe but I wouldn't change any of it. Today was our second day at the centre working with the local children and I could not be happier. I am working with another volunteer from Germany and we have a group of six fourth graders. Their names are Emmerhensia, Iyambo, Marina, Odette, Rudolph, and Dustin. They are all so appreciative and enthusiastic about learning. They are on different levels so it can be difficult but they do seem to be absorbing information. For example, today I went over subtraction problems with them where they had to "borrow from a neighbor number". I was a little nervous because their previous teacher said they had a great deal of trouble grasping the concept. Today however, they seemed to understand it well. It was very exciting!
I was thinking about it earlier and I don't think I have admired anyone more than I admire Marybeth. She has devoted her entire life to this program and it is obvious how passionate she is about it. She is making a difference in so many lives, it is incredible. I would love to do something like that some day.
Namibia is such an interesting country. I found out yesterday that before the holocaust, concentration camps were used in a Namibian town. How crazy is that? Everyone here is very friendly. I feel so welcome! A few of the people I have met that work at the guest house and as our tour guides are so knowledgeable. They know so much about their country and have so much pride. Yesterday, one of the men, Patrick, gave a speech on the history of Namibia. It was very interesting and informative. Patrick is attending Columbia's Teacher College this September. He was also picked a few years ago to go to D.C. and represent Namibia at a Young African Leader conference. While there, he met Preisdent Obama!
Well, it's about time to go. We are going to watch a Souh African movie about the Apartheid. Our Manhattan College group has had some great bonding experiences. I can't wait for more!

-Christina

No comments:

Post a Comment