Monday, June 6, 2011

Day One at BNC

I'm so excited to finally post on this wonderful blog Dr. McCarthy created for our friends and family to follow along with us during our visit to Namibia. After reflecting with our team last night, I went to sleep thinking about The Twelve Virtues of A Good Teacher, which was created by Saint John Baptist De La Salle. I thought about how important it is for myself to bring those virtues into the classroom. I'm positive that by using the Twelve Virtues, not only will the student learn, but also ourselves.

Today was a much anticipated first full day at the BNC. I woke up ready and excited for the big day ahead of us. After the morning meetings, we all figured out exactly what we were going to be teaching for the rest of my time here. I will be joining the sixth grade class, which consists of twenty boys and girls. I will be working with a wonderful volunteer named Hannah, who has been working at the center for almost three months. My kind and amazing friend Kate will also be teaching in the same sixth grade class. The three of us decided that this outstanding team would work together to instruct the students. Kate would teach English and I would teach mathematics. This plan will help these wonderful students that we would meet shortly.

Before the students arrived, my nerves were going crazy with anticipation, eager to meet all the children. At first a few students started to arrive, which gave us time to interact with them, while they waited for class to begin. At this time, I had an opportunity to kick a ball around with one boy. As time went on, more children had arrived eager to learn and play. At this point I was playing soccer with about twelve boys, while all the other children were running around, playing, or reading. I decided that it would be a good idea to read to the boys, so they could relax before heading to class. I couldn't have been happier to see all the excitement they had for a person to read to them. In a flash we hurried to find a book, and choose Two Left Feet. Finally, my long life dream of teaching children was in affect. As I was reading aloud, more and more children came to listen. Being a male volunteer is something that these children may not use to. I was so pleased to see how welcomed I was and how happy I made these children.

After the children washed their hands and ate lunch, it was time for the first session of classes to begin. Kate did an amazing job discussing and defining the ten spelling words of the week. I was so impressed with her amazing teaching skills, and I realized that we had an incredible group of young individual learners. After the first teaching session was finished the children had a quick recess for fifteen minutes and had to report back to class for the second session of class.

Finally, it was my turn to use what I had learned during my four years of college education and to teach mathematics. At the start of class, I had the students line up outside the doorway and I individually asked them to tell me their names and answer a quick multiplication question before entering the classroom. Individually, the students were instructed to work on a problem of the day before my lesson. After, I had the children review what they have been learning, and I learned that they were all bright and intelligent children. It was an extraordinary experience, to teach to these children. Today's first hand experience showed me that students in America and Namibia are taught in different ways, but the common goal of an exceptional education is still the focus. I truly cannot wait to work with this amazing group tomorrow!

P.S. Love you Mom!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing excellent information. Your website is so cool. I'm impressed by the details that you have on this blog.It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles.
    samedaypaydayloans

    ReplyDelete