Monday, May 30, 2011

A Message from Br. Ray

This is a reprint of the e-mail that Br. Ray sent each of us today:

To our Missionaries,

Tomorrow, you will begin your long-anticipated journey from Manhattan College to Namibia! This global awareness adventure will impact your lives, the lives of your future students and the schools you will be teaching at in the future. This trip will not only broaden your horizons as a future educator but it will also promote within you a sense of global awareness and global thinking - a MUST for highly effective teachers of the 21st century.

I have faith that each of you are ready for this life-changing experience. It will be an exciting adventure! I have no doubt you will bring the charism of De La Salle and the Ideals of Kappa Delta Pi to the young people of Namibia by reaching out and "touching their minds and hearts." You need only to bring the essentials: a willingness to get your hands dirty and a desire to help others who are less fortunate than you.

I hope you bring your small "mirrors" with you as a reminder that you are going to be "reflectors of the light" - the light of knowledge, truth, understanding, and love to the people you encounter on your journey.

Sometimes we get angry at God when we see poverty, hunger, conflict, violence, etc. and ask Him, "Why do you permit this stuff to happen? Why don't you do somthing about it?" I would expect his answer to be: "I certainly did do something. I MADE YOU!" Each of us is truly one of God's angels on earth. He has given us everyting we need to make a difference. You can also be sure that God has gone to Namibia to prepare for your arrival and will be with you and protect you as you do His Work. He will give you the strength to carry out this mission.
.
I wish I could be with you - I know you will all do well! I especially would love to be there for the sessions of reflection on your experiences. I'm sure that the Owl of Minerva will be with all of you. I especially want to thank the Dean, Dr. Nicholson, Br. Augustine, Dr. McCarthy, and the members of the group who worked hard and came to all the meetings in order for this trip to become reality.

I celebrate you, your generosity, and your courage to volunteer to help these young people of Namibia! We will pray for you each day.

Enjoy the Journey!

Brother Ray

1 comment: